Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant) growing in damp conditions.
- ‘With the specific exception of river margin faunas, the more fussy hygrophilous species are well represented in Ireland.’
- ‘Seventeen local vegetation types describe 7 main vegetal formations related to mesophilous, hygrophilous and coastal series.’
- ‘On the whole, the upland species are very poorly represented, and the same may be said of the especially hygrophilous section of the family.’
- ‘In the valley floors and on hill slopes we have cultivated fields, pastures and, along water streams, hygrophilous riparial woodlands with poplar and willow trees.’
- ‘In the case of the hygrophilous species C. macrocarpa and W. radicans, 6 or 12 months' dry storage killed most spores.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.