Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant) growing in damp conditions.
- ‘In the valley floors and on hill slopes we have cultivated fields, pastures and, along water streams, hygrophilous riparial woodlands with poplar and willow trees.’
- ‘Seventeen local vegetation types describe 7 main vegetal formations related to mesophilous, hygrophilous and coastal series.’
- ‘In the case of the hygrophilous species C. macrocarpa and W. radicans, 6 or 12 months' dry storage killed most spores.’
- ‘On the whole, the upland species are very poorly represented, and the same may be said of the especially hygrophilous section of the family.’
- ‘With the specific exception of river margin faunas, the more fussy hygrophilous species are well represented in Ireland.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.