One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a plant) growing in damp conditions.
- ‘In the valley floors and on hill slopes we have cultivated fields, pastures and, along water streams, hygrophilous riparial woodlands with poplar and willow trees.’
- ‘With the specific exception of river margin faunas, the more fussy hygrophilous species are well represented in Ireland.’
- ‘Seventeen local vegetation types describe 7 main vegetal formations related to mesophilous, hygrophilous and coastal series.’
- ‘In the case of the hygrophilous species C. macrocarpa and W. radicans, 6 or 12 months' dry storage killed most spores.’
- ‘On the whole, the upland species are very poorly represented, and the same may be said of the especially hygrophilous section of the family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.