Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring the humidity of the air or a gas.
- ‘If you want to have full control over precise percentages of humidity, get a unit with a hygrometer and humidistat.’
- ‘Medium water potentials were measured with a hygrometer.’
- ‘To estimate the range of spray around the washstands, we measured relative humidity at different distances using a hygrometer.’
- ‘Use a hygrometer to know what the humidity level is.’
- ‘To determine the relative humidity, you will need a relative humidity sensor, also known as a moisture meter or hygrometer.’
- ‘Dew point temperature is measured with a hygrometer, and you can make your own.’
- ‘A chilled-mirror hygrometer works by using an electric cooling unit to reduce the temperature of a mirror until dew or frost forms on its surface.’
- ‘The thermometer, the hygrometer, the currents of wind and cloud, should be as familiar to him as the stethoscope, the microscope and the speculum.’
- ‘Go out and buy a digital hygrometer - a good one costs $30 or $40.’
- ‘Some dehumidifiers feature a hygrometer, which measures room humidity.’
- ‘All humidity measurements were made with a model 2200 hygrometer.’
- ‘In a recent publication, with the same settings and using a dew point mirror hygrometer, a similar result of 36.2 mg H2O / L was obtained.’
- ‘To measure the humidity level inside your home, buy a hygrometer, available at hardware stores for about $30.’
- ‘In addition, a Li - 188 quantum sensor, thermometer and hygrometer recorded, respectively, irradiance, air temperature and relative air humidity hourly.’
- ‘These include the thermometer, the barometer, and the hygrometer.’
- ‘The actual relative humidity was measured in the glove box with a hygrometer immediately before sealing the cell with a second CaF2 window.’
- ‘Soil water potential was measured at regular intervals using a dew-point hygrometer on soil samples collected from one pot per group.’
- ‘Sapwood water potentials were measured with a thermocouple hygrometer, branch water potentials with a pressure chamber.’
- ‘Periodically check the humidity with a hygrometer, available at your local hardware store.’
- ‘The temperature of the air stream was measured just downstream of the dew point hygrometer using a thermocouple.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.