Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring the humidity of the air or a gas.
- ‘In addition, a Li - 188 quantum sensor, thermometer and hygrometer recorded, respectively, irradiance, air temperature and relative air humidity hourly.’
- ‘Go out and buy a digital hygrometer - a good one costs $30 or $40.’
- ‘All humidity measurements were made with a model 2200 hygrometer.’
- ‘The thermometer, the hygrometer, the currents of wind and cloud, should be as familiar to him as the stethoscope, the microscope and the speculum.’
- ‘Medium water potentials were measured with a hygrometer.’
- ‘Soil water potential was measured at regular intervals using a dew-point hygrometer on soil samples collected from one pot per group.’
- ‘In a recent publication, with the same settings and using a dew point mirror hygrometer, a similar result of 36.2 mg H2O / L was obtained.’
- ‘Some dehumidifiers feature a hygrometer, which measures room humidity.’
- ‘Periodically check the humidity with a hygrometer, available at your local hardware store.’
- ‘These include the thermometer, the barometer, and the hygrometer.’
- ‘To estimate the range of spray around the washstands, we measured relative humidity at different distances using a hygrometer.’
- ‘If you want to have full control over precise percentages of humidity, get a unit with a hygrometer and humidistat.’
- ‘To determine the relative humidity, you will need a relative humidity sensor, also known as a moisture meter or hygrometer.’
- ‘The actual relative humidity was measured in the glove box with a hygrometer immediately before sealing the cell with a second CaF2 window.’
- ‘Sapwood water potentials were measured with a thermocouple hygrometer, branch water potentials with a pressure chamber.’
- ‘To measure the humidity level inside your home, buy a hygrometer, available at hardware stores for about $30.’
- ‘Dew point temperature is measured with a hygrometer, and you can make your own.’
- ‘Use a hygrometer to know what the humidity level is.’
- ‘The temperature of the air stream was measured just downstream of the dew point hygrometer using a thermocouple.’
- ‘A chilled-mirror hygrometer works by using an electric cooling unit to reduce the temperature of a mirror until dew or frost forms on its surface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.