Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A coelenterate of the class "Hydrozoa" , such as a hydra or Portuguese man-of-war.
- ‘Most hydrozoans alternate between a polyp and a medusa stage - they spend part of their lives as ‘jellyfish’ which are hard to distinguish from scyphozoan jellyfish.’
- ‘There are three subgroups within the cnidarians that have medusae, cubozoans, hydrozoans, and scyphozoans.’
- ‘Scyphozoan medusae differ from those of hydrozoans in lacking a velum.’
- ‘The difference between most hydrozoans and most scyphozoans is that in hydrozoans, the polyp stage usually predominates, with the medusa small or sometimes absent.’
- ‘Hatchlings will feed on macroplankton, small snails, crustaceans and other invertebrates such as hydrozoans and jellies.’
Relating to or denoting hydrozoans.
- ‘The pinnacle of hydrozoan colonial complexity can be found in members of the Family Siphonophora.’
- ‘Getting hooked up with an animal like Donax seemed a very clever trick of hydrozoan evolution.’
- ‘Hydrozoan colonies display a diverse array of forms.’
- ‘Many hydrozoan species perform large vertical diel migrations, which may bring individuals together in spawning aggregations.’
- ‘Porpita is a member of a small but very widespread group of hydrozoan cnidarians, the Chondrophorina.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.