Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting the action of heated water in the earth's crust.
- ‘The chemical nature of these hydrothermal solutions was determined by the composition of the basalt, the length of contact with the basalt, and the temperature.’
- ‘It contains structures called hydrothermal (hot water) vents, which spew superheated fluids into the seawater.’
- ‘Because hydrothermal water is rich in certain metals, like manganese, an increase in the concentration in a sample can point to a vent.’
- ‘Bulgaria is famous around the world for the uniqueness, variety and abundance of its hydrothermal, bioclimatic, mud treatment, sea cure, and other health resources.’
- ‘This can be due to increasing confining pressure (mechanical compaction), tectonic stress in impervious sediments or hydrothermal activity.’
- ‘The original minerals in these rocks have been altered to new minerals by chemical replacement through interaction with the ore-forming hydrothermal fluids.’
- ‘Alpine-cleft deposits develop in an existing open gash in which hydrothermal fluid infiltrates and recrystallizes the surrounding rock.’
- ‘‘This is the first deep-sea hydrothermal community ever discovered that is dominated by eels’ said Young.’
- ‘Scientists plot such data to identify the signature of a hydrothermal plume - a geothermal phenomenon that indicates the presence of an underwater vent.’
- ‘In the crystallization sequence from hydrothermal solutions, calcite is typically a late and low-temperature crystallizing mineral.’
- ‘We discovered the first hydrothermal field, or vent area, and associated vent ecosystem in the Atlantic Ocean - still one of the largest such fields known.’
- ‘Rapid ascent of hydrothermal fluids derived from shallow-metamorphic and deep-burial diagenetic settings is well known from many sedimentary basins.’
- ‘In particular, in convective cooling the fluids that infiltrate the rocks lead to extensive thermal metamorphism and hydrothermal alteration in comparison with pure conductive cooling.’
- ‘Some scientists lump ocean water with meteoric, whereas others regard it as a separate type of water in hydrothermal systems.’
- ‘Vein gold is deposited by hot subterranean water known as a hydrothermal fluid.’
- ‘The hydrothermal fluid introduced only small amounts of water and alkali elements (such as sodium and potassium).’
- ‘Upward migration of heated hydrothermal fluids along fault planes may have been aided by seismic pumping.’
- ‘There aren't any chemical signs that the recent warming stems from increased undersea hydrothermal activity in the region, says Freeland.’
- ‘‘But four billion years ago a dominant source was impact-generated hydrothermal systems,’ Kling said.’
- ‘A recent survey along a midocean ridge beneath the Arctic icepack unveiled an unexpected abundance of hydrothermal activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.