One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A microphone which detects sound waves under water.
- ‘Seismic waves are detected by instruments known as geophones when used on land or hydrophones in water.’
- ‘But most research to date has used underwater microphones, called hydrophones, to study the collection of sounds produced by various groups - not individuals.’
- ‘From seven boats, the scientists lowered hydrophones - underwater microphones - to a depth of about 1,500 feet.’
- ‘The tag encodes the data as a series of ultrasonic pulses transmitted through the water column from a hydrophone and are decoded by a receiver on a ship.’
- ‘The fish were caught locally and transferred to large laboratory tanks where their behavior was monitored using hydrophones and infrared video cameras.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.