One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Tending to repel or fail to mix with water.The opposite of hydrophilic
rabies-infected, mad, foaming at the mouthView synonyms
- ‘This part of the molecule is called hydrophobic, meaning water-hating.’
- ‘The negative values refer to inverse relationships between hydrophobic and hydrophilic residues.’
- ‘The polyurethane foam does not hold moisture and is hydrophobic (water repelling).’
- ‘With this kind of dual nature, the hydrophilic part will face the water and the hydrophobic part will exclude water.’
- ‘Emulsions are typically made up of a hydrophilic, aqueous portion and a hydrophobic, oil portion.’
2Of or suffering from hydrophobia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.