Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a cooling or heating system in which heat is transported using circulating water.
- ‘Additional heating is provided by a hydronic radiant system embedded in the top level's poured-earth floor.’
- ‘These heaters also can act as backup heat sources for hydronic radiant-heat systems and solar water heaters.’
- ‘The two most common radiant floor warming systems are hydronic, usually a whole house heating solution used not just for floors, or electric.’
- ‘In cool months, the interior is warmed by a combination of passive solar energy and a hydronic radiant-heat system.’
- ‘In winter, the walls' mass keeps out the cold and stores the gentle heat radiating from a hydronic floor system.’
- ‘Instead of circulating warm air throughout a home, a hydronic system pumps hot water or steam from a boiler through pipes and radiators or copper-finned baseboard radiators, and then returns it to be reheated and recirculated.’
- ‘The large area of wooden flooring conceals hydronic geothermal heating, using the nearby lake as a heat source/sink.’
- ‘They value high-quality, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems and willingly increase house prices and forego air conditioning in order to include hydronic heat.’
- ‘If your home already has forced-hot-air ductwork, you may want to consider installing a wood-fired furnace (as opposed to a hydronic hot water system).’
- ‘Yes, but don't you care about the hydronic heat, also?’
- ‘Plastic hydronic piping is cast into the concrete floor slabs, which is used as the finished ceiling, with suspended indirect lighting.’
- ‘But just in case, we included hydronic radiant heat that circulates hot water through pipes imbedded in the concrete floor to heat the house in winter.’
- ‘‘The floors are warmed with a hydronic radiant system,’ says Hertz.’
- ‘Combined space heating/domestic hot water systems are not limited to hydronic systems.’
- ‘A properly operating hydronic system seldom needs to be bled.’
- ‘A hydronic heating system can maintain such a temperature even in the coldest weather.’
- ‘A hydronic valence convector system provides radiant cooling and heating of the offices using significantly less energy than fan coil units would.’
- ‘The group also was able to include a hydronic heating system, which is healthier for a home's inhabitants but usually much more expensive than forced-air heat.’
- ‘A complete hydronic heating system runs between $6,500 and $7,500 installed (and about $10,000 for a high-end multi-fuel system).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.