One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical breakdown of a compound due to reaction with water.
- ‘When hydrolysis occurs, we will write a chemical equation to describe it, and new species will be formed in solution.’
- ‘Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.’
- ‘On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.’
- ‘Again, they used partial acid hydrolysis of the whole chain and then protease digestion to give larger blocks.’
- ‘Digestion breaks down chemical bonds in a process called enzymatic hydrolysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.