Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science concerned with the properties of the earth's water, and especially its movement in relation to land.
- ‘The international conference is a forum for student teams to present the results of Earth science research projects about atmosphere, climate, hydrology, soil, land cover/biology, and phenology.’
- ‘Physical sciences, particularly earth sciences such as geology and hydrology, are popular subjects for study and research in Oman's university and in a number of government ministries.’
- ‘Its scientific agenda brought back invaluable information about flora, fauna, hydrology and geography.’
- ‘A synthesis of many disciplines, hydrology is the science of water, its properties, its circulation, and its distribution in Earth and atmospheric systems.’
- ‘The choice is made on the basis of their international significance in terms of ecology, botany, zoology, limnology, or hydrology.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.