Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of science concerned with the properties of the earth's water, and especially its movement in relation to land.
- ‘A synthesis of many disciplines, hydrology is the science of water, its properties, its circulation, and its distribution in Earth and atmospheric systems.’
- ‘Its scientific agenda brought back invaluable information about flora, fauna, hydrology and geography.’
- ‘The choice is made on the basis of their international significance in terms of ecology, botany, zoology, limnology, or hydrology.’
- ‘Physical sciences, particularly earth sciences such as geology and hydrology, are popular subjects for study and research in Oman's university and in a number of government ministries.’
- ‘The international conference is a forum for student teams to present the results of Earth science research projects about atmosphere, climate, hydrology, soil, land cover/biology, and phenology.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.