Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of science concerned with forces acting on or exerted by fluids (especially liquids).
- ‘He was also interested in hydrodynamics and hydraulics and he moved on from making sundials to invent other machinery, in particular pumps.’
- ‘Jeffrey's work was on the applications of mathematics, in particular he worked on hydrodynamics, viscous liquids and elasticity.’
- ‘Sailing is one of those sports which involves hydrodynamics, fluid dynamics, material science, human physiology, tactics, psychology.’
- ‘He was interested in their applications to dynamics, hydrodynamics, elasticity, and electrostatics.’
- ‘Two further works, one on the mathematical theory of heat and the other on hydrodynamics, were in preparation at the time of his death.’
- ‘Thus, the lipid dynamics depend on the friction and not on hydrodynamics.’
- ‘His early work was on magnetism and electricity but he soon concentrated on hydraulics and hydrodynamics.’
- ‘Current research focuses on the forces that act on a body moving through the water, the science of hydrodynamics.’
- ‘His interests in science itself were mainly in the area of mathematical physics, and in particular thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, elasticity, mathematical chemistry, and mechanics.’
- ‘We could not understand chemistry and hydrodynamics.’
- ‘His work on machines includes much in the area of applied mechanics, but he was also interested in applied hydrodynamics and steam engines.’
- ‘In particular he applied his methods to equations resulting from electromagnetics, then later to those arising from hydrodynamics.’
Late 18th century: from modern Latin hydrodynamica, from Greek hudro- ‘water’ + dunamikos (see dynamic).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.