Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A binary compound of hydrogen with a metal.
- ‘Lithium aluminum hydride is an important reducing agent in organic chemistry.’
- ‘One of the problems with metal hydride is that the stored hydrogen is chemically bound to the metal.’
- ‘Metal hydrides can store hydrogen at close to atmospheric pressure, but are too heavy for many uses.’
- ‘The hydride is a complex alloy of rare-earth elements and other metals that may be decomposed and reformed reversibly.’
- ‘The oxides, hydrides, and halides are volatile covalent compounds that have low melting points.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.