One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ancient Greek pitcher with three handles.
- ‘The rareness of the composition of the main scene on the Reading hydria caught the attention of scholars, and it is indeed unusual.’
- ‘Miniature vessels for carrying water (especially small hydriai) or vessels for grain predominate among the small ceramic objects.’
- ‘Based on evidence from this narrow context of the wedding and its related symposia, a conclusion that the hydria played a role in more ordinary symposia is plausible.’
- ‘Although the documents that accompanied the hydria identify it as ‘London 1519.69,’ it was not demonstrably ever part of a major museum collection there.’
- ‘Although the floor in the south part of the room was eroded, a fragmentary hydria and krater found among the artifacts lying against the bedrock outcrop may originally have been sitting directly on the floor.’
Via Latin from Greek hudria.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.