One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ancient Greek pitcher with three handles.
- ‘Based on evidence from this narrow context of the wedding and its related symposia, a conclusion that the hydria played a role in more ordinary symposia is plausible.’
- ‘The rareness of the composition of the main scene on the Reading hydria caught the attention of scholars, and it is indeed unusual.’
- ‘Miniature vessels for carrying water (especially small hydriai) or vessels for grain predominate among the small ceramic objects.’
- ‘Although the floor in the south part of the room was eroded, a fragmentary hydria and krater found among the artifacts lying against the bedrock outcrop may originally have been sitting directly on the floor.’
- ‘Although the documents that accompanied the hydria identify it as ‘London 1519.69,’ it was not demonstrably ever part of a major museum collection there.’
Via Latin from Greek hudria.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.