Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compound, typically a crystalline one, in which water molecules are chemically bound to another compound or an element.
- ‘Most of the remainder comes from wetlands, gas hydrates, permafrost, and termites.’
- ‘Methane hydrates belong to a group of compounds known as gas hydrates.’
- ‘Gas hydrate is a crystalline substance composed of gas and water.’
- ‘The two most stable species of phosphates are the two extremes of hydrates, the anhydrous salt and the fully hydrated salt.’
- ‘Methane hydrate is an ice-like compound in which methane molecules are enclosed in cavities formed by water molecules.’
1 Cause to absorb water.‘a powerful moisturizer that hydrates the skin for up to twelve hours’
- ‘This not only hydrates the plant but settles the soil close to the roots, getting rid of any air pockets.’
- ‘And I do have unlimited bottled water and orange juice here with which to hydrate myself.’
- ‘It hydrates the child throughout the day and gives them the various vitamins and minerals that will help sustain their concentration at school.’
- ‘First spray on a little water to hydrate your skin.’
- ‘The chicken feet are first blanched with boiling water to hydrate the skin.’
- ‘The treatment is supposed to hydrate skin immediately, making the face appear smoother and plumper.’
- ‘On their own they will not have a huge impact on symptoms, but they will help to reduce the appearance of scale and redness, they help to hydrate the skin and can soothe itch if present.’
- ‘Replenish moisture lost during the super-cleansing by hydrating your skin thoroughly.’
- ‘When training in hot weather, you need to systematically hydrate your body properly.’
- ‘Moisturise and hydrate skin thoroughly before going to bed.’
- ‘The skin is constantly hydrated and has protection against line-producing dehydration.’
- ‘While I was still tingling from that experience a steam mask was put over my face to deep clean my pores and to hydrate my skin further.’
- ‘The great thing is that it hydrates and protects your skin without leaving your face looking oily.’
- ‘Rub the sachet over your entire body to cleanse and hydrate dry skin.’
- ‘The essential oils of palmarosa, jasmine, sandalwood, and orange blossom hydrate the face to help hold in natural moisture.’
- ‘These are usually emollients, which soothe, smooth and hydrate the skin.’
- ‘Facial moisturizers help hydrate the skin on your face.’
- ‘All that water you downed hydrates your skin, making your cheeks rosy and eyes bright - bonus!’
- ‘Water not only hydrates, but it also can increase your blood volume to help make you stronger when you train.’
- ‘This one is really good for dry skin, this one hydrates your skin, what do you want it for?’
- 1.1Chemistry Combine chemically with water molecules.‘hydrated silicate crystals’
- ‘When an ionic solute is dissolved in water equilibrium is established between the solid phase and the various hydrated ionic species.’
- ‘All ions in solution are hydrated, surrounded by water molecules that bond to it through ionic attractions.’
- ‘Water bridges represent the most economical way to hydrate the surface of molecules, with an associated entropic cost.’
- ‘Sections were dewaxed in xylene and hydrated in ethanol.’
- ‘Caesium is a weakly hydrated alkaline metal with chemical similarities to potassium.’
Early 19th century: coined in French from Greek hudōr water.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.