One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A modified pore, especially on a leaf, which exudes drops of water.
opening, orifice, aperture, hole, outlet, inlet, ventView synonyms
- ‘The three main veins fused at the leaf tip leading to an epithem hydathode.’
- ‘The hydathode is a specialized structure involved in secretion of water under high humidity.’
- ‘Indeed, activity, although low, was detected in cotyledon veins and tips and also in leaf veins, trichomes, and hydathodes.’
- ‘We analyzed the results as an estimate of the number of hydathodes, which is known to differ between juvenile and adult leaves.’
- ‘Another way of disposing of excess salt may be to lose salt from the hydathodes, which release water at times of low transpirational water loss, such as at night.’
Late 19th century: from Greek hudōr, hudat- ‘water’ + hodos ‘way’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.