One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process of an animal or plant breeding with an individual of another species or variety.‘these irises are the products of hybridization carried out by a plant breeding firm’‘natural hybridization of two fungal species’
- ‘Genetic mapping studies provide insight into the pattern and extent of genetic incompatibilities affecting hybridization between closely related species.’
- ‘Dozens of new plant varieties produced through hybridization and other traditional methods of genetic improvement enter the marketplace each year.’
- ‘Although no hybridization between those species has been noted in the wild, Amazona species are known to hybridize in captivity.’
- ‘He carried out experimental work on the hybridisation of zebras and horses.’
- ‘This spatial isolation appears to be an effective barrier to hybridization.’
- ‘The diversity of rice may be damaged and undesirable hybridisation could result in wild rice producing herbicide-resistance genes.’
- ‘Hybridization was detected by a colour reaction.’
- ‘Mendel published the results of a study of hybridization of plants.’
- ‘Breeders with bogus American shorthairs produced through illicit hybridization would be allowed to transfer their cats to this newly created amnesty breed.’
- ‘The scientists can determine whether hybridization may be occurring in farmers' fields.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.