One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process of an animal or plant breeding with an individual of another species or variety.‘these irises are the products of hybridization carried out by a plant breeding firm’‘natural hybridization of two fungal species’
- ‘Although no hybridization between those species has been noted in the wild, Amazona species are known to hybridize in captivity.’
- ‘The scientists can determine whether hybridization may be occurring in farmers' fields.’
- ‘Dozens of new plant varieties produced through hybridization and other traditional methods of genetic improvement enter the marketplace each year.’
- ‘Hybridization was detected by a colour reaction.’
- ‘He carried out experimental work on the hybridisation of zebras and horses.’
- ‘This spatial isolation appears to be an effective barrier to hybridization.’
- ‘Mendel published the results of a study of hybridization of plants.’
- ‘Genetic mapping studies provide insight into the pattern and extent of genetic incompatibilities affecting hybridization between closely related species.’
- ‘Breeders with bogus American shorthairs produced through illicit hybridization would be allowed to transfer their cats to this newly created amnesty breed.’
- ‘The diversity of rice may be damaged and undesirable hybridisation could result in wild rice producing herbicide-resistance genes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.