One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency of a cross-bred individual to show qualities superior to those of both parents.Also called heterosis
- ‘The molecular basis of hybrid vigor has remained unknown despite the importance of this phenomenon in evolution and in practical breeding programs.’
- ‘We therefore think that the results are more easily explained if immigrant genes are selectively favored, for instance, by hybrid vigor, which has been shown for one of the metapopulations.’
- ‘This phenomenon is commonly denoted as midparent heterosis of hybrid vigor.’
- ‘Utilization of hybrid vigor or heterosis has been successful in cross-pollinated crops, of which maize is a primary example.’
- ‘The causes of inbreeding depression and the converse phenomenon of heterosis or hybrid vigor remain poorly understood despite their scientific and agricultural importance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.