One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a legislative bill that combines the characteristics of a private and public bill.‘the hybrid bill needed to make the scheme into law has been delayed’
- ‘They will use a parliamentary device known as a hybrid bill that, after a public consultation, will enable building to start within five years.’
- ‘The Government wants to pass a hybrid bill giving powers to build the line before 2015.’
- ‘A hybrid bill would have bypassed normal planning processes and fast-tracked the scheme without proper public consultation.’
- ‘He said: "The hybrid Bill will cover all the options, but the funding might not be there for all of them."’
- ‘The passage of a hybrid bill is much more arduous than normal legislation, involving extensive oral cross-examination and allowing anyone affected to testify personally to Parliament.’
- ‘A hybrid bill could be introduced to Parliament this autumn.’
- ‘The major works have to wait until the Hybrid Bill is law.’
- ‘"If the hybrid bill had been passed, it would have taken 10 years for the project to die a death."’
- ‘A hybrid bill paving the way for the scheme could be introduced in the next parliamentary session.’
- ‘The hybrid bill is a welcome step forwards but we still don't know how it will be paid for, or who will pay for it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.