Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A condition in newborn babies in which the lungs are deficient in surfactant, which prevents their proper expansion and causes the formation of hyaline material in the lung spaces.Also called respiratory distress syndrome
- ‘Neonatal pneumonia can closely mimic hyaline membrane disease clinically, and is the most frequent cause of septicemia in neonate.’
- ‘The patient had a history of hyaline membrane disease that was treated initially with three doses of Survanta artificial surfactant and steroids.’
- ‘Adequate prenatal care and early intervention in this case may have avoided not only the fetal morbidity and mortality secondary to congenital syphilis, but the prematurity and hyaline membrane disease as well.’
- ‘At autopsy, there was extensive acute hyaline membrane disease.’
- ‘A significant cause of death in premature infants and, on occasion, in full term infants is respiratory distress syndrome or hyaline membrane disease.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.