Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition in newborn babies in which the lungs are deficient in surfactant, which prevents their proper expansion and causes the formation of hyaline material in the lung spaces.Also called respiratory distress syndrome
- ‘Adequate prenatal care and early intervention in this case may have avoided not only the fetal morbidity and mortality secondary to congenital syphilis, but the prematurity and hyaline membrane disease as well.’
- ‘The patient had a history of hyaline membrane disease that was treated initially with three doses of Survanta artificial surfactant and steroids.’
- ‘Neonatal pneumonia can closely mimic hyaline membrane disease clinically, and is the most frequent cause of septicemia in neonate.’
- ‘A significant cause of death in premature infants and, on occasion, in full term infants is respiratory distress syndrome or hyaline membrane disease.’
- ‘At autopsy, there was extensive acute hyaline membrane disease.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.