One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(chiefly of cartilage) glassy and translucent in appearance.
- ‘The lungs showed significant congestion, edema, and patchy, hyaline membranes in all lobes.’
- ‘In fact, these specimens are rather well preserved and their hyaline appearance in transmitted light is similar to other species of the genus.’
- ‘In the center of the valve is a rosette of larger areolae surrounding a star-shaped hyaline area.’
- ‘In sections, the organisms had a hyaline appearance.’
- ‘The seedling lost its hyaline appearance and the parasite died before a tubercle had formed.’
- 1.1 Relating to or consisting of hyalin.
- ‘In addition, three patients had hyaline collagen degeneration, four myxoid degeneration, three fibrinoid degeneration, and six had mixed lesions.’
- ‘Numerous glomerular wireloop lesions and hyaline capillary loop thrombi were seen.’
- ‘Some lesions may exhibit hyaline fibrosis of blood vessel walls.’
- ‘Collagenous hyaline deposition was variable, and collagenous spherules could be seen.’
- ‘Some cells have intracytoplasmic lumina with hyaline globules, and there may be hemosiderin deposition.’
1literary A smooth sea or a clear sky.‘through the clear hyaline the ship came sailing’
- ‘Heading straight into the sun the bow of the ship raises its fist for another attack on a relentless swell and angry salt spray spews into the air only to fall back into the collective pit of unchallenged hyaline.’
2another term for hyalin
- ‘Fat droplets, cholestasis, or alcoholic hyaline may on occasion appear within cells of the adenoma.’
- ‘The number of ballooned hepatocytes, the number of cells with alcoholic hyaline, the amount of satellitosis all tend to be less striking.’
- ‘Alcoholic hyaline is thought to result from damage to the cytoskeleton of the hepatocyte, and is formed by an aggregation of damaged intermediate filaments.’
- ‘Typical findings are punctate and linear densities in articular hyaline or fibrocartilaginous tissues.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin hyalinus (see hyalin).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.