One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow lane or alleyway in a traditional residential area of a Chinese city, especially Beijing.
- ‘I've gone walking in a hutong during lunch hour in spring.’
- ‘At the same time, extra parking lots could be provided in the vicinity of the hutongs.’
- ‘There are very few lights in a hutong at night.’
- ‘We went through a hutong or alley in Old Beijing.’
- ‘Thus the future of the hutongs has become a lively public debate.’
- ‘Last week I visited some friends in the evening, in a tiny little hutong near the Drum Tower.’
- ‘There are tens of thousands of hutongs surrounding the Forbidden City.’
- ‘In the 1950s, hutongs covered 11 million square metres.’
- ‘Among people living in the same hutong there exists a very special degree of familiarity.’
- ‘The Courtyard, a traditional unique folk house in the hutongs, has a long history in Chinese architecture.’
- ‘On October 16, he became perhaps Beijing's oldest resident to take the plunge into business, opening a little shop in a hutong just behind Qianmen.’
- ‘I have always lived in a hutong, a traditional Beijing alley.’
- ‘The gradual decline of the hutongs was furthered in the period 1974-86 by the construction of tall buildings on company premises in the courtyards, replacing many old houses.’
- ‘The area of dilapidated hutongs was only 800,000 square meters.’
- ‘I grew up in the old hutongs (alleyways) of Beijing.’
- ‘Where there is a hutong, there is a story.’
- ‘Thousands of people can live in a hutong which is made up of hundreds of quadrangular courtyards each surrounded by four homes.’
- ‘Beside every high-rise tower still lie the hutongs, cramped alleyways of communal housing without clean water or electricity.’
- ‘Outside the temple you may find some locals who will offer their rickshaw hutongs tours.’
- ‘We met Shen Mai, or Snow Plum Blossom, a young woman in her early 30s who has lived in the same house in the same hutong all her life.’
Chinese hútòng, probably from Mongolian gudum.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.