One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rodent resembling a cavy, with short legs and tail, found only in the Caribbean.
- ‘The fur of hutias is generally brownish or greyish in colouration.’
- ‘The most visible animal on the base is the hutia, known as the ‘banana rat’ by residents here.’
- ‘It was said to be slightly larger than a hutia and was a source of food for natives.’
- ‘Studies in Central America have shown that animals, like hutia, are attracted to gardens because they offer choice foods.’
- ‘This nocturnal hutia feeds on roots, bark, shoots, fruit, and foliage of many different plants.’
Mid 16th century: from Spanish, from Taino huti, cuti.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.