One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1trademark Lightweight casual shoes made of soft suede or leather.
- ‘He removed her hushpuppies and replaced each of them with a white in-line skate.’
- ‘The hush puppies are very comfy.’
- ‘Pinstriped oxford shirt, brown hush puppies and wire frame glasses adorned this man who also looked in his mid thirties.’
2US Small cakes of maize dough which are quickly deep-fried.
- ‘Breaking open a hush puppy, the boy seemed embarrassed yet proud of his grandfather's praise.’
- ‘In the southern states catfish fillets are usually dredged in cornmeal and fried, to be served with hush puppy and coleslaw.’
- ‘Quenelles are more appropriate to a fine-dining dinner plate than the classic spoon-dropped hush puppy, but the winning recipe was too moist to hold a quenelle shape.’
- ‘They have the smoothness of a beignet, the heft of a hush puppy, and they're spiced with cayenne pepper and little shreds of Italian ham.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.