Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short rigid riding whip with a handle at right angles to the stock and a long leather thong, used chiefly in hunting.
whip, lash, scourge, cat, thong, switch, birch, cane, stickView synonyms
- ‘On completing the course the rider hands the hunting crop to his team mate and so on until all eight horses have jumped.’
- ‘The main types of whip are the short whip, the dressage whip, the hunting whip, the lunge whip, the polo whip, and the show cane.’
- ‘We also carry a traditional hunting whip with a lash and a thong to keep the hounds in line.’
- ‘He had a black top hat, a long coat, and a hunting crop swinging in one hand.’
- ‘This is an early hunting whip (modern ones tend to be much shorter than this).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.