One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short rigid riding whip with a handle at right angles to the stock and a long leather thong, used chiefly in hunting.
whip, lash, scourge, cat, thong, switch, birch, cane, stickView synonyms
- ‘We also carry a traditional hunting whip with a lash and a thong to keep the hounds in line.’
- ‘The main types of whip are the short whip, the dressage whip, the hunting whip, the lunge whip, the polo whip, and the show cane.’
- ‘He had a black top hat, a long coat, and a hunting crop swinging in one hand.’
- ‘On completing the course the rider hands the hunting crop to his team mate and so on until all eight horses have jumped.’
- ‘This is an early hunting whip (modern ones tend to be much shorter than this).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.