Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short rigid riding whip with a handle at right angles to the stock and a long leather thong, used chiefly in hunting.→ crop
whip, lash, scourge, cat, thong, switch, birch, cane, stickView synonyms
- ‘This is an early hunting whip (modern ones tend to be much shorter than this).’
- ‘He had a black top hat, a long coat, and a hunting crop swinging in one hand.’
- ‘On completing the course the rider hands the hunting crop to his team mate and so on until all eight horses have jumped.’
- ‘We also carry a traditional hunting whip with a lash and a thong to keep the hounds in line.’
- ‘The main types of whip are the short whip, the dressage whip, the hunting whip, the lunge whip, the polo whip, and the show cane.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.