One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short rigid riding whip with a handle at right angles to the stock and a long leather thong, used chiefly in hunting.
whip, lash, scourge, cat, thong, switch, birch, cane, stickView synonyms
- ‘We also carry a traditional hunting whip with a lash and a thong to keep the hounds in line.’
- ‘The main types of whip are the short whip, the dressage whip, the hunting whip, the lunge whip, the polo whip, and the show cane.’
- ‘On completing the course the rider hands the hunting crop to his team mate and so on until all eight horses have jumped.’
- ‘This is an early hunting whip (modern ones tend to be much shorter than this).’
- ‘He had a black top hat, a long coat, and a hunting crop swinging in one hand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.