Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The activity of hunting wild animals or game:‘they talked about going hunting’‘whale hunting is unnecessary’
blood sports, field sports, stalking, trapping, coursing, fox hunting, the chasepoachingshikarveneryView synonyms
- ‘The Inuit rely heavily on subsistence hunting of walruses, whales, seals, and other animals near the top of the food chain.’
- ‘As access to once remote forests grows, so does the risk of greater ‘bush meat’ hunting, or the hunting of wild animals for food.’
- ‘With wild lands cleared for agriculture and game hunting on the rise, populations of cougars and other large predators took heavy hits.’
- ‘Both were situated by the village's port, where the activities related to whale hunting had been pursued for almost a century.’
- ‘The money which would need to go into policing a ban on hunting would be immense.’
- ‘For some Americans who grew up with different cultural influences or who live in parts of the country where hunting is popular, game birds are familiar fare.’
- ‘Big game hunting has long been a controversial topic.’
- ‘Wild hunting, fishing, and wood cutting are not allowed.’
- ‘In most other parts of Europe this type of hunting has been banned, I just can't understand it!’
- ‘Thus the kind of domination represented by big game hunting had altered significantly.’
- ‘Fishing and game hunting are different though, it's done for food and you generally don't tend to chase the animal over miles of countryside.’
- ‘Bulgaria's resources in the field of game farms and hunting are really great.’
- ‘The country was very rich in game before widespread hunting began.’
- ‘This organisation was set up to defend and promote the use of terrier dogs in the hunting of wild animals.’
- ‘Advocates for banning foxhunting in England argue that hunting and killing animals with packs of dogs is cruel and unnecessary.’
- ‘He said that a recent opinion poll suggested that 80 per cent of the British public believe that hunting wild mammals with dogs is cruel.’
- ‘But anti-hunt protesters say her story does not alter the fact that hunting is cruel to animals.’
- ‘She was the goddess of hunting, wild animals, childbirth, nature, and the harvest.’
- ‘Game hunting in South Africa has flourished into a multi-million-rand industry and the Eastern Cape has surpassed all the other provinces in its success.’
- ‘China does not allow hunting of these animals in the wild.’
2[in combination] The activity of searching for something:‘house-hunting’
A simple system of changes in which bells move through the order in a regular progression.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.