One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a naval vessel, especially a submarine) equipped to locate and destroy enemy vessels, especially other submarines.
- ‘Five of the Royal Navy's hunter-killer submarines have been found to be clear of the defect which forced HMS Tireless to put in at Gibraltar for repairs.’
- ‘In addition, one of the Navy's hunter-killer nuclear submarines had also been operating in the region, paying a port visit to Bahrain earlier in the year.’
- ‘The unprecedented step of checking all our hunter-killer submarines, requiring two to return to the UK, is further evidence of our commitment to nuclear safety.’
- ‘Modern antisubmarine warfare is conducted by three major naval platforms: hunter-killer submarines; surface ships such as frigates and destroyers; and maritime patrol aircraft.’
- ‘The problem affects the fleet of 12 nuclear-powered hunter-killer submarines which carry conventional weapons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.