One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a nomadic people who live chiefly by hunting and fishing, and harvesting wild food.
- ‘The Aborigines were nomadic hunter-gatherers who did not have a concept of possessing territory or of deterring trespassers from it.’
- ‘There were serious revolts during the course of the seventeenth-century, and raiding by the nomadic hunter-gatherers from the eastern parts of the region.’
- ‘To get an answer, one has to start with the beginning, the tens of thousands of years humans spent as nomadic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘Blades and tools were made in very similar ways at both sites, and the two sites may have been used by the same group of mobile hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘Among the exhibits are flint tools made by Mesolithic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘The people of the period were nomadic hunter-gatherers which means that they have left little trace for the modern archaeologist.’
- ‘This is how hunter-gatherers have lived for millennia.’
- ‘Over the centuries, they consolidated their power by trading portions of their harvests to the hunter-gatherers for land, as well as through inter-marriage.’
- ‘These people were the descendants of the ancient hunter-gatherers of Europe.’
- ‘Sometime during the last ice age nomadic tribes of hunter-gatherers from Asia first crossed the Bering Strait and entered the Western Hemisphere.’
- ‘Most ethnic groups have a history in which they passed from being hunter-gatherers to farmers.’
- ‘It enabled them both to subdue the most resilient of the remaining classical empires (China, Japan, Ottoman), and to take over all the remaining areas occupied by barbarians and hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘Far from being wandering hunter-gatherers, some Aborigines lived in villages, traded and farmed.’
- ‘Few traces exist of the settlements of the earliest Palaeolithic hunter-gatherers in Southern France.’
- ‘The Neanderthal people were roaming hunter-gatherers rather than village-dwellers.’
- ‘The two books reviewed here examine Spanish-native interactions and efforts to establish missions among groups of largely nomadic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘His primarily interest is in the Penan people, who live as hunter-gatherers in the forests.’
- ‘Why did people, after thousands of years as hunter-gatherers, settle down and start farming?’
- ‘On the contrary, for people living as hunter-gatherers, it was a common practice, albeit disguised by various religious or cultural justifications.’
- ‘When the first Aborigines arrived in Australia, at least 60,000 years ago, primitive humans all lived as hunter-gatherers; the beginnings of agriculture in the northern hemisphere were not yet apparent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.