One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A children's top which makes a humming noise as it spins.
- ‘Try making a second humming top and insert a hole in it, and it'll give you a different humming sound.’
- ‘The shop offers a wide selection of humming tops, cloth figurine sets, wooden trains and perfectly engineered German toys.’
- ‘The Maori in New Zealand have used humming tops, with specially-crafted holes, in mourning ceremonies.’
- ‘From humming tops, trains, and trolleys to mechanical animals on wheels and figures pulling carts (pull toys), tinplate toys were made in amazing variety.’
- ‘At the beginning of Victoria's reign these were predominantly wooden and included dolls, dolls’ furniture, horses, carts, skipping ropes, spinning and humming tops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.