One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A children's top which makes a humming noise as it spins.
- ‘The shop offers a wide selection of humming tops, cloth figurine sets, wooden trains and perfectly engineered German toys.’
- ‘From humming tops, trains, and trolleys to mechanical animals on wheels and figures pulling carts (pull toys), tinplate toys were made in amazing variety.’
- ‘The Maori in New Zealand have used humming tops, with specially-crafted holes, in mourning ceremonies.’
- ‘At the beginning of Victoria's reign these were predominantly wooden and included dolls, dolls’ furniture, horses, carts, skipping ropes, spinning and humming tops.’
- ‘Try making a second humming top and insert a hole in it, and it'll give you a different humming sound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.