One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An airtight container for keeping cigars or tobacco moist.
- ‘Top-of-the-range humidors stacked with quality Cuban cigars are just one more attraction.’
- ‘An effective humidor should keep cigars at a temperature of 68 to 70 degrees and a humidity of 68 to 74 percent.’
- ‘He reached for the humidor and pulled out two cigars and a lighter.’
- ‘Inside the door, stored beneath the counter at the switchboard, is a humidor with an excellent cigar collection known only to the members.’
- ‘The lounge is open to the public, but a club membership is available for those who want to use the on-premises humidors and get other member benefits.’
Early 20th century: from humid, on the pattern of cuspidor.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.