One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or group of people held near a potential target to deter attack.
- ‘Some Canadians already have left for Iraq to serve as human shields against bomb attacks on Baghdad.’
- ‘The Germans often advanced against the insurgents with civilians strapped to the front of their armoured vehicles as human shields.’
- ‘Iraq largely used voluntary human shields to immunize targets that were part of its infrastructure.’
- ‘I also have read that human shields might be deploying at water facilities.’
- ‘They were treated as a human shield in case of an attack.’
- ‘She also denied that human shields were fleeing the country as the likelihood of war increased.’
- ‘They knew that it would take more than a few hundred Western human shields to stop a war.’
- ‘He sat up a wee bit straighter and allowed more of his body to cover her as a human shield if someone did indeed attack.’
- ‘The British stories that civilians were forced to take up arms by the militia and were used by the militia as human shields were also lies.’
- ‘The army systematically used Palestinian civilians as human shields.’
- ‘They fight out of uniform, use human shields and routinely launch attacks against civilians.’
- ‘Chechen rebels used ethnic Russian civilians as human shields during the brutal war in Chechnya.’
- ‘This was so the British could use the people living in them as human shields from mortar attack.’
- ‘Rebels in Nigeria have kidnapped nine foreign oil workers, including a Briton, and threatened to use them as human shields for attacks on the oil industry.’
- ‘Stories of using civilians as human shields, and executing prisoners of war, leaves one speechless.’
- ‘However, if such are killed in crossfire or if used as human shields, they become collateral damage.’
- ‘I actually don't think that voluntary human shields raise any war crimes by any side.’
- ‘Instead, there are hundreds of soldiers dug in and on patrol forming a lethal human shield around the base.’
- ‘However, when the human shields faced live ammunition their priorities changed.’
- ‘There are also reports that civilians are being conscripted to fight or be human shields.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.