One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unattractive or ugly.‘paint is peeling from huckery old outbuildings’‘it looks a bit huckery, but it's good value’
- ‘They ride off into the sunset in their huckery car with all these beer cans tied to the back of it.’
- ‘It was a pretty huckery-looking mini-bus.’
- ‘She'll only spoil it with that huckery face.’
- ‘I've spent days machining all these huckery bits of wood into what I think is a beautiful work of art.’
- ‘The phrase 'huckery old car' was very common.’
1970s: possibly from Maori hakirara ‘slovenly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.