Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large, slender non-migratory fish of the salmon family, which lives only in the Danube River system.
- ‘At the latest count, some 110,000 tonnes of fish, including the rare Danube sturgeon, the huchen, and 18 other protected species, have been killed.’
- ‘Miraculously, my permit was renewed the following year and - I'm cutting the story short here - I caught three huchen - none of them giants, the best around 15 lb as far as I remember.’
- ‘Many were good trips in a variety of ways, but as far as catching huchen went they fell far short.’
- ‘The huchen weighs 25-30 kg, has silver-gray skin and black spots, and when breeding acquires a red tinge.’
- ‘The purpose of the introduction of the huchen to Spain was angling for a valuable trophy game fish.’
Early 20th century: from German.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.