One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See howlingas submodifier ‘the film is as as howlingly funny as it is touching’
- ‘Naturally the job goes howlingly wrong, but Frenchy's cookies, initially set up as a front, become a howling success.’
- ‘I haven't heard such howlingly bad dialogue in a long while.’
- ‘This year's fringe was the usual mixture of the hilarious and the howlingly bad.’
- ‘This howlingly, gobsmackingly awful mess bears only too clearly the imprint of its co-producer, who makes a smirking cameo appearance.’
- ‘But to dismiss the art as unfashionably regionalist does not do justice to some fine works and a vision that testifies quietly, skilfully to this big, wide and howlingly silent land.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.