One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Used to ask how great a distance is.‘they wanted to know how far he could travel’
- ‘I know there are buses, but how far is it to walk?’
- ‘If aviation fuel is noticeable at this distance from Gatwick, how far does it extend?’
- ‘How far is it around the lakes?’
2To what extent.‘he was not sure how far she was committed’
- ‘Not sure how far he got with it all, but there's a thread about his efforts somewhere about.’
- ‘This may have been the decision of one individual, I'm not sure how far it was pursued.’
- ‘Curators agonize over how far they should be seeking to educate or entertain.’
- ‘The increase shows just how far the town has come with regard to its war on litter in recent months.’
- ‘It is a sign of how far the lawless minority have taken over when they force milkmen to ride in pairs for safety's sake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.