One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fly which frequently hovers motionless in the air and feeds on the nectar of flowers. Most hoverflies are black and yellow, patterned to mimic various bees and wasps.
Family Syrphidae: numerous genera and species
- ‘Seed sown in early June has produced a swathe of greenery topped by the most attractive blue flowers that seem irresistible to bees, hoverflies and other insects.’
- ‘These will encourage bees and hoverflies to visit, pollinating the flowers and controlling any aphids present.’
- ‘Recently many of us have begun to plant flowers in the vegetable garden to deter pests by attracting beneficial insects such as ladybirds and hoverflies.’
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘Flowers, in white or shades of pink, are carried in late summer and into autumn, attracting butterflies, bees and hoverflies on warm, sunny days.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.