One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vehicle or craft that travels over land or water on a cushion of air provided by a downward blast. A design was first patented by Christopher Cockerell in 1955.
- ‘Buying the hovercraft and Argos vehicles were the easy parts, the battle to keep funds coming in for running costs is increasingly difficult.’
- ‘Hop onto a hovercraft or a car ferry and you are there within half an hour.’
- ‘Mr Clouter said three helicopters and a hovercraft then arrived on the scene, along with some two dozen police officers.’
- ‘As he threw himself forward the fringe of a blast from the hovercraft caught his trail leg.’
- ‘A lone Japanese escort helicopter followed the hovercraft in, and buzzed overhead.’
- ‘As the name implies, it is a hovercraft type of vehicle with motorcycle steering and propulsion.’
- ‘Watch out for the Sea-Safari, high-speed boat trips around the bay, a hovercraft, and even a hot-air balloon!’
- ‘Predictably, they were caught by the tide and the hovercraft found them in nearly two feet of water.’
- ‘A lifeboat hovercraft was launched from Morecambe at 12.50 pm following reports that a number of people had been caught by the tide.’
- ‘Even back then, club members recognized the importance of having a second hovercraft on-call in the Lower Mainland.’
- ‘Longley then set about the task of designing a hovercraft for Lake Chad, but by the time he had spent three years building it, a drought had dried up most of the lake.’
- ‘It has a steady flight, often within a few centimetres of the water surface and is reminiscent of a small hovercraft.’
- ‘The group had toyed with the idea of making a hovercraft.’
- ‘Within a few seconds, the air cushion becomes powerful enough to lift the entire hovercraft, and suspend it a few inches above the ground.’
- ‘When it was launched in the 1950s, the hovercraft was hailed as a revolution in sea travel.’
- ‘With a hovercraft on hand and a helicopter circling above it was very impressive stuff, but was it necessary to deploy this large array of resources?’
- ‘In 1959, the first hovercraft was launched on the Isle of Wight.’
- ‘All that the rescue helicopters and a hovercraft could do was pick their bodies from the sea in the dark, landing them one by one on the beach.’
- ‘Mr Foster thought a hovercraft would be the perfect vehicle to boost tourism and navigate the mudflats of Southend when the tide is out.’
- ‘The four had tried to swim to safety after being cut off by the rising tide but had regained the safety of the sandbank when the hovercraft arrived to lift them to safety on the shore at Red Bank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.