One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who owns a house, especially the house in which they live.
inhabitant, localView synonyms
- ‘No one has ever liked paying taxes and houseowners employed various stratagems to avoid the Window Tax.’
- ‘Reports are also rising of houseowners with expensive cars being threatened with guns at their homes.’
- ‘Negative equity may also affect some houseowners and if this is accompanied by unemployment, the effects will be serious.’
- ‘Reports said that the houseowner and several others have been picked up for interrogation.’
- ‘The stolen car was found in the garage, and items belonging to its owner were found in the houseowner's bedroom.’
- ‘Houseowners and shopkeepers in the town would be given suggestions to ensure the safety of their premises.’
- ‘Many local houseowners have made a killing converting their flats into such apartments.’
- ‘Even a houseowner has to have permission to prune trees above three metres in diameter.’
- ‘The burglar, who had broken in through a downstairs window, then forced the wife of the houseowner to look for money.’
- ‘Donnell, director of research at Savills, said houseowners were being squeezed by rising council tax, fuel bills, and mortgage payments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.