Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Gods presiding over a household, especially (in Roman history) the lares and penates.
- ‘This one is a New Year poem, called Lares Et Penates, inspired by the Roman concept of household gods.’
- ‘His household gods came alive and told him he must go to Italy from where Dardanus came.’
- ‘According to Virgil, Aeneas's sacrifice is to the goddess Juno; in Varro it is to the household gods; and in Dionysios it is to the Penates, in a shrine erected after the sacrifice took place.’
- ‘Gonds also worship family and household gods, gods of the field, and gods of cattle.’
- ‘The Romans had personal household gods or spirits called ‘lares’ which were worshipped every day at home.’
- ‘It's about the generations coming together and paying their respects to their ancestors and the household gods.’
- ‘But there were also household gods - the gods of the hearth - specific to each family or clan.’
- ‘Again legend tells us that the Swallow was sacred to the Penates or household gods, and therefore to injure one would be to bring wrath upon your own house.’
- 1.1figurative Possessions held in esteem.‘the Fairley household gods—portraits and an assortment of silver’
- ‘Pay plenty of adoration to my household gods, whatever they may be.’
- ‘It is so inexpressibly lovely that it makes a man ask himself whether it would not be worth his while to move his household gods to the eastern coast of Australia in order that he might look at it as long as he can look at anything.’
- ‘I thought of nothing but a precipitate retreat with my household gods, or rather goods, if such a trumpery collection of individual property might be called so.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.