Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The trade or activity of building houses.
- ‘Hunting was primarily a male activity everywhere, housebuilding and agriculture primarily female, while work with livestock varied among ethnic groups.’
- ‘When he took on the top slot 11 years ago, it had slumped into loss, and had interests in open-cast coalmining, contracting and civil engineering as well as housebuilding and property development.’
- ‘He has also sought to rebalance the business, building up its housebuilding and property development arms and de-emphasising the focus on pure contracting work.’
- ‘At the forefront of the subjects raised were the constraints on housebuilding in the town - and objections raised by Scottish Natural Heritage.’
- ‘Construction and housebuilding is one industry that can be badly affected by a recession.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.