One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company's preferred manner of presentation and layout of written material.‘the document will automatically be set out according to the house style’
- ‘Even such unusual figures as two of his heroes mostly write in the house style of their profession.’
- ‘I then had a computing course, which was not that fun as we were amending things from house styles.’
- ‘The house style was developed collaboratively with all the BBC Creative Partners, including BBC Broadcast & Presentation.’
- ‘How did you balance a sense of wanting to fly freer and that constricted world in which you found yourself, I mean if you like the house style world in which you lived?’
- ‘I read enough stuff from this publisher to think that this isn't a house style.’
- ‘Although highly paid, directors were expected to stick strictly to an impersonal house style.’
- ‘Bibliographies ordered according to surname take many forms, according to rules laid down by academic and other institutions, practices favoured in publishers' house styles, or authors' preferences.’
- ‘‘So to say’ isn't in the newspaper's house style is it?’
- ‘I've never wanted to have a house style per se, I've never wanted to do books in a series where everything looks the same and is in a regular format.’
- ‘The journal was clearly not, however, in the business of shaping a specific program or, apart from a preference for accessible language, a house style.’
- ‘Here the author examines the numerous aspects linked to the appearance of a page, collaborative writing, drafting, editing, house styles and language choice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.