Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large spider which frequently lives in houses, where it builds a sheet-like web.
- ‘And recently, my ex-partner told me she'd caught one of those huge house spiders you get at this time of year, by one leg instead of cupping it in her hand, and it bit her.’
- ‘The spider is the house spider which is more common this year thanks to the hot summer.’
- ‘We are currently suffering a plague of monster house spiders.’
- ‘Other biting spiders include the black house spider and huntsman.’
- ‘Reports of large house spiders found indoors are common at this time of year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.