One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large spider that commonly lives in and around human dwellings.
a common North American spider (Achaearanea tepidariorum, family Theridiidae).
a common European spider which builds a large web with a tubular retreat in one corner (genus Tegenaria, family Ageleridae).
- ‘And recently, my ex-partner told me she'd caught one of those huge house spiders you get at this time of year, by one leg instead of cupping it in her hand, and it bit her.’
- ‘Other biting spiders include the black house spider and huntsman.’
- ‘We are currently suffering a plague of monster house spiders.’
- ‘Reports of large house spiders found indoors are common at this time of year.’
- ‘The spider is the house spider which is more common this year thanks to the hot summer.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.