One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for black rat, especially in South Asia
- ‘Unlike house rats, these field rats exercise a lot and have strong muscles.’
- ‘As well as the beautiful scenery, the group had the chance to see dugongs, a cassowary and her stripy chicks, native rats - certainly larger than your average house rat - and wild pigs with their piglets.’
- ‘Through the development of the merchandise and shipping-traffic in the last centuries, the house-rat could spread above all as "ship-rat" world-wide.’
- ‘Sometimes predated nests were found with holes in the bottom part of the nest, which is typical for predation by house rats, Rattus rattus.’
- ‘If there's one thing the present government can't stand, it's house rats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.