Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A domestic cat, especially one kept as a household pet.‘the most surprising thing they found is that the majority of the house cats weren't hunters’
- ‘The southern French city of Marseille called off a three-week hunt for a black panther on Tuesday after the animal sighted by several residents turned out to be a large house cat.’
- ‘The kestrel's diet consists of insects, birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, and sometimes even house cats.’
- ‘House cats in two new suburbs of Canberra, Australia, will need to stay within homes and fenced backyards, new city rules propose.’
- ‘After reviewing an average of 37 hours of footage per cat, researchers found that 30% of the roaming house cats were successful in killing prey.’
- ‘Every moving object poses a danger to drivers, from tumbleweeds to house cats crossing the road at night.’
- ‘In areas like Savannas, where the Scrub-jays are in close proximity to suburban habitats, house cats are important predators of many bird species.’
- ‘On 19 June 1922 no puffins were breeding there, nor were any seen; the many predatory house cats that roamed there unchecked in 1922 were probably responsible.’
- ‘The house cat either came from European ancestors that remained in Asia or from North American cats that migrated from across the Bering land bridge, which spanned present-day Siberia and Alaska.’
- ‘If it is true that big cats haven't lived wild in the U.K. for 2,000 years, then, judging from the results of a new survey, a lot of large house cats now roam the British countryside.’
- ‘We found that house cats will kill a wide variety of animals, including: lizards, voles, chipmunks, birds, frogs, and small snakes.’
- 1.1A pet cat that is kept exclusively indoors.‘it could be that Penelope is a house cat and isn't used to being outdoors’
- ‘Whether a pet-therapy animal or just a pet, beloved bunnies often are kept indoors like a house cat, trained to use a litter box, and spayed or neutered according to their sex.’
- ‘We tried to see if we could find a house cat for the family, that would not go out, but we couldn't guarantee it wouldn't escape.’
- ‘I'd like to thank the birds for giving me (and my house cats) such watching pleasure.’
- ‘About three months ago the Gomez family's house cat escaped through an open door.’
- ‘My cat "Wookie" survived life as a near-starving alley cat and wound up as a beloved house cat through an unlikely series of biographical accidents.’
- ‘I should have made house cats out of them, even though they never had been when I rescued them.’
- ‘This just underscores the fact that house cats are in grave danger when they're allowed outside the home.’
- ‘All the other house cats have taken up their usual positions by the log-burner.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.