One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall plant of the borage family, which bears long silky hairs, small purplish flowers, and tongue-shaped leaves, and has a mousy smell.
- ‘Like blue hound's tongue, this plant has burrs that attach to cattle, causing irritation.’
- ‘Hound's Tongue is so named because of its broadly oval leaves which apparently look like hound's tongues.’
- ‘The large nutrient reserves in seeds of hound's tongue allow rapid seedling root growth.’
- ‘In case you are not familiar with hound's tongue, please get familiar with it and watch for large populations.’
- ‘Great hound's tongue may be found from southern British Columbia south to San Luis Obispo and Tulare counties, Californa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.