A succulent mat-forming plant with bright yellow or lilac daisy-like flowers and edible fruit. It is native to South Africa and frequently naturalized on coastal cliffs in Europe.
- ‘Ice plants are also known as Hottentot figs, which amuses me greatly for no particular reason.’
- ‘The Hottentot fig, from South Africa, is spreading across sites of special scientific interest, putting native plants at risk.’
- ‘In the past few years we've grown Hottentot figs along the road.’
- ‘There are two species of Hottentot figs that have naturalized in Europe.’
- ‘The owner believed that the Hottentot fig was protecting the cliff from erosion and was not prepared to allow access by contractors.’