One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A casserole of meat and vegetables, typically with a topping of sliced potato.
- ‘Dumplings and meat pieces are cooked in the hotpot, and radish and cabbage too are done similarly.’
- ‘We also serve it with oyster fritters, because oysters used to be incredibly cheap and were often used in the hotpot.’
- ‘There were a range of steaks to choose from, for example, and roast chicken, pork and lamb lunches, as well as hotpots and pies, all served with chips, potatoes or mash and vegetables.’
- ‘Traditionally-made hotpots have vegetables and water or stock added all at once and are put straight into the oven for long, slow cooking, but I prefer to add extra flavour with some light pre-frying.’
- ‘Instead, she has always cooked healthy family meals using inexpensive ingredients; stews, soups, hotpots, fish pies and shepherd's pies.’
- ‘The sausage and bean hotpot is known in many cultures.’
- ‘People go to better restaurants which are air-conditioned and they have a Mongolian hotpot.’
- ‘She reckons about 50 per cent of what they produce is homemade - minced lamb hotpot, chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, that kind of stuff - plus a mean chicken pie.’
- ‘But what had me really sighing with ecstasy was the yam and meat hotpot.’
- ‘This quicker version of a hotpot, more of a soup really, is unthickened and has a freshness about it that the oven versions don't.’
- ‘It offered a little excitement in avoiding the gamekeepers whilst producing some goodness in the shape of a rabbit or a hare for the hotpot along with a few cheap vegetables.’
- ‘I had a good taste of the hotpot and agreed with Ann it was rather glutinous and bland.’
- ‘The menu is extensive, offering fried and stewed dishes and even hotpots for winter, but the house specialties are from the charcoal grill that stands exposed to the street.’
- ‘I was offered a variety of dishes including beef stew and dumplings, chicken chasseur and a hotpot and I tasted all of them.’
- ‘All it has to offer customers is pints, darts and hotpots.’
- ‘And you shouldn't miss the hotpot here, even though summer has nearly arrived.’
- ‘Beef is the most commonly used meat, in soups, barbecues, and hotpots.’
- ‘Although the hotpot was a disappointment, with a lot of dishes in the $5 range and a student discount that knocks off the tax, Vegetarian Fastfood is an ideal place for a very filling lunch.’
- ‘And though British cooking's first lady is not the sort of person you would knock up a hotpot for, I know that she is unlikely to be impressed by smart-assed food.’
- ‘The vegetable can be used in soups, hotpots or as stuffing for dumplings.’
2(in East Asian cooking) a dish consisting of raw ingredients such as thinly sliced meat and vegetables that are cooked by diners at the table by dipping them in boiling broth.‘I love hot pot so much I rated every restaurant based upon meat quality and soup’
- 2.1 A metal pot used for cooking or serving hot pot.‘beef and a plate of greens and other veggies are ready to go into the hot pot’
- 2.1 A metal pot used for cooking or serving hot pot.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.