One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A casserole of meat and vegetables, typically with a topping of sliced potato.
- ‘It offered a little excitement in avoiding the gamekeepers whilst producing some goodness in the shape of a rabbit or a hare for the hotpot along with a few cheap vegetables.’
- ‘We also serve it with oyster fritters, because oysters used to be incredibly cheap and were often used in the hotpot.’
- ‘This quicker version of a hotpot, more of a soup really, is unthickened and has a freshness about it that the oven versions don't.’
- ‘Although the hotpot was a disappointment, with a lot of dishes in the $5 range and a student discount that knocks off the tax, Vegetarian Fastfood is an ideal place for a very filling lunch.’
- ‘Beef is the most commonly used meat, in soups, barbecues, and hotpots.’
- ‘Traditionally-made hotpots have vegetables and water or stock added all at once and are put straight into the oven for long, slow cooking, but I prefer to add extra flavour with some light pre-frying.’
- ‘All it has to offer customers is pints, darts and hotpots.’
- ‘And you shouldn't miss the hotpot here, even though summer has nearly arrived.’
- ‘Dumplings and meat pieces are cooked in the hotpot, and radish and cabbage too are done similarly.’
- ‘People go to better restaurants which are air-conditioned and they have a Mongolian hotpot.’
- ‘But what had me really sighing with ecstasy was the yam and meat hotpot.’
- ‘The menu is extensive, offering fried and stewed dishes and even hotpots for winter, but the house specialties are from the charcoal grill that stands exposed to the street.’
- ‘There were a range of steaks to choose from, for example, and roast chicken, pork and lamb lunches, as well as hotpots and pies, all served with chips, potatoes or mash and vegetables.’
- ‘She reckons about 50 per cent of what they produce is homemade - minced lamb hotpot, chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, that kind of stuff - plus a mean chicken pie.’
- ‘The vegetable can be used in soups, hotpots or as stuffing for dumplings.’
- ‘The sausage and bean hotpot is known in many cultures.’
- ‘And though British cooking's first lady is not the sort of person you would knock up a hotpot for, I know that she is unlikely to be impressed by smart-assed food.’
- ‘I was offered a variety of dishes including beef stew and dumplings, chicken chasseur and a hotpot and I tasted all of them.’
- ‘I had a good taste of the hotpot and agreed with Ann it was rather glutinous and bland.’
- ‘Instead, she has always cooked healthy family meals using inexpensive ingredients; stews, soups, hotpots, fish pies and shepherd's pies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.