One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A war with active military hostilities.
- ‘Both had a vested interest in the continuation of the Cold War and the escalation of the hot war in Vietnam.’
- ‘For example, the confrontation between the US and North Korea over the latter's nuclear programme could develop into a hot war.’
- ‘Each superpower supported by a network of allies sought to undermine and defeat the other by all means short of a real or a hot war - hence the cold war description of this confrontational system.’
- ‘Lowell's next two books built on this relatively free, unbuttoned, physically solid manner, but moved it into the political arenas of the nuclear-charged Cold War and the hot war in Vietnam.’
- ‘Beyond these hot wars, the modulated, patient, and half-century-long cold war was perhaps the most decisive war in American history.’
- ‘Did the plight of the boat people refine his understanding of how the hot war played out in the Cold War?’
- ‘The cold war with communism consumed us, along with a hot war in Southeast Asia and riots over the racial divide. We lived in the shadow of a mushroom cloud.’
- ‘To be sure this was no normal hot war, but a war of a kind nonetheless.’
- ‘Further, social unrest resulting from hot wars made large-scale military intervention less politically feasible.’
- ‘Have we simply shifted from a cold war to a needed series of hot wars?’
- ‘Only a few months later, the United States found itself once more embroiled in a hot war, this time with North Korea and Communist China.’
- ‘The Cold War could have produced a hot war that might have ended human life on the planet.’
- ‘‘It undoubtedly will prove to be a lot more like a cold war than a hot war,’ he said.’
- ‘My separations occurred in the first 30 years, a normal full career, so my unaccompanied tour years were about one in five and that got me through three hot wars and a cold one.’
- ‘It is especially important to study the conditions in which a cold war may develop into a hot war.’
- ‘Now that a hot war is certain in the Middle East, a cold war will begin in the Western democracies.’
- ‘Europe might have been an armed camp divided by the Iron Curtain but at least cold war never became hot war and after the fall of communism in 1989, the transition was relatively peaceful.’
- ‘The ‘Cold War’ between the two superpowers became a hot war.’
- ‘I thought to myself, it is not easy to convert a cold war into a hot war.’
- ‘Since the end of the Cold War, the world has been awash in hot wars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.