One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device in which paper or cloth is pressed between glazed boards and hot metal plates in order to produce a smooth or glossy surface.
- ‘The kitchen has a range of storage units, a hot press and a shelved pantry.’
- ‘On this floor there is also a double-width hot press with plenty of storage space, and the family bathroom, which has lots of built-in storage and a double bath.’
- ‘This usually involved a hot press or rollers sealing Mylar plastic onto your item.’
- 1.1 A type of hot press used in the manufacture of plywood.
- ‘Soft plywood for indoor use is bonded in a hot press using urea and formaldehyde resins.’
- ‘Pre-pressed panels are, as indicated above, loaded into the hot press one per opening.’
2Irish A cupboard used for airing clothes, linen, etc.
- ‘An extra bonus is that the attic has been converted to provide three extra rooms, as well as shower room and hot press.’
- ‘There are three rooms off the inner hallway - a utility room which is plumbed for a washing machine, a hot press, and a small bathroom with a bath and tiled floor.’
- ‘The main bathroom and a walk-in hot press complete the accommodation.’
- ‘Overhead, the bedroom and bathroom accommodation is accessed off a wide landing with a shelved hot press and walk-in store room.’
- ‘The lower ground level consists of a playroom, a storage room, walk-in hot press and a utility room with fitted presses.’
- ‘Off this is a walk-in hot press as well as three double bedrooms.’
- ‘A second bedroom is situated on the first floor return and this also boasts an en suite with similar features, as well as a walk-in hot press.’
- ‘Along the hallway there is a sizable hot press with plenty of storage space, as well as understairs storage.’
- ‘Both the bathroom and walk-in hot press are particularly spacious.’
- ‘Also off the kitchen is a utility area with a terracotta tiled floor and a walk-in hot press.’
- ‘At the top of the house, the four remaining bedrooms and family bathroom are located off a spacious landing which has a walk-in hot press.’
- ‘There is also a large, walk-in hot press upstairs.’
- ‘The main bathroom and hot press complete the accommodation upstairs.’
- ‘This 2,200 sq ft home allocates good space for the provision of storage and comes with a generous utility room, cloak area and hot press.’
- ‘Storage is provided in a shelved hot press and another storage unit in the hall.’
Press (paper, cloth, etc.) with a hot press.‘hot-pressed paper’
- ‘With an appropriate bulk composition it might be possible to use this to generate a ceramic or synroc-like waste form without the costs and hazards associated with pre-disposal hot pressing etc.’
- ‘In 1946, Irmann and co-workers were preparing rod specimens for spectrographic analysis by hot pressing mixtures of pure aluminum and other metal powders.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.