One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A key or a combination of keys providing quick access to a particular function within a computer program.
- ‘Ammunition is unlimited, but units also have a limited special combat weapon such as a mortar round or high explosive round that is controlled by a different hot key or mouse click.’
- ‘The British-designed keyboards come in four colours and have five levels of brightness, controlled by two hot keys.’
- ‘The control scheme will be familiar to all strategy gamers as it a standard combination of hot keys and mouse clicks.’
- ‘Certain options like the latter can be accessed with a hot key.’
- ‘Common hot keys are placed strategically within easy reach, but I did find the buttons hard to figure out.’
- ‘While there are hot keys for certain functions, there's also a lack of hot keys for others, which is sure to cause a few temper tantrums during play.’
- ‘Digging around the menus and what not is also very intuitive and the hot keys just make this even easier.’
- ‘I loaded up the following in quick succession, all with hot keys.’
- ‘Pretty much everything has been assigned a convenient hot key, and the interface is clear and easy to understand and use.’
- ‘A hot key is a combination of keys pressed on the keyboard which activate a function.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.