One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An East Asian plant cultivated in the West for its shade-tolerant foliage and loose clusters of tubular mauve or white flowers.
Genus Hosta (formerly Funkia), family Liliaceae
- ‘Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.’
- ‘Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of perennials, including campanulas, daylilies, hostas, peonies, sedums, and Shasta daisies.’
- ‘It is ideal for growing in a mixed planting of hostas, siberian iris, and other good foliage plants.’
- ‘Covering the hillside around the patio is a tapestry of astilbes, azaleas, campanulas, ferns, hellebores, hostas, Japanese maples, moss, and rhododendrons.’
- ‘In cottage gardens, old standbys such as asters, daylilies, delphiniums, and hostas mix with newer perennials such as coreopsis and ornamental grasses such as fountain grass and blood grass.’
Modern Latin, named after Nicolaus T. Host (1761–1834), Austrian physician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.