Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Stockings, socks, and tights collectively.
stockings, tights, stay-ups, nylonshosesocks, knee socks, ankle sockspantyhoseView synonyms
- ‘When seamless stockings were developed it changed the future of ladies hosiery forever.’
- ‘The Juzo is possibly the ugliest piece of hosiery I've ever seen - a thick beige coloured sock that makes me look like I'm wearing old lady wrinkled stockings.’
- ‘X-Static has previously been used in socks and hosiery, but this is the first time it's being employed in bodywear.’
- ‘But instead of neatly-folded hosiery, out comes a congealed mass of tightly interwoven tights, socks, bras and assorted accessories.’
- ‘In addition to 360 collections from over 100 leading suppliers of lingerie, swimwear and nightwear, this year's event brings together for the first time a full range of hosiery in the new Legwear Zone.’
- ‘He added that support tights, as opposed to proper compression hosiery, would not be beneficial.’
- ‘But prevention is, as ever, better than cure, so Gillian advises always drying thoroughly between your toes and, where possible, wearing cotton hosiery.’
- ‘Aids include shoehorns with an extension handle, devices that help you pull up hosiery, shoes you close with Velcro rather than with shoelaces, and tools that grip buttons and zippers.’
- ‘The exhibition also features the usual products such as sarees, crockery, bed linen, cosmetics, hosiery and some imported goods.’
- ‘Anti-DVT hosiery does work, and can be bought at the chemist.’
- ‘Spandex is used in foundation garments and hosiery.’
- ‘A small peek-a-boo open toe shoe looks fine when worn with hosiery.’
- ‘Those who reported the symptom were asked whether it had made it impossible to put on hosiery (socks, stockings, or tights).’
- ‘Don't forget spare socks, hosiery and underwear.’
- ‘Currently, soft-tone silver hosiery and socks are popular.’
- ‘Check out the latest styles in stretch jeans, capris, tops, intimates and hosiery from Just My Size, the plus-size authority.’
- ‘If it's winter, it's OK to wear dark hosiery like black tights to stay warm.’
- ‘Ceriso girls just want to have fun in this funky new range of lingerie, sleepwear, hosiery, cosmetics, fragrance and body products.’
- ‘The shops that were completely destroyed also included those that sold leather goods, electronic gadgets, fancy products, hosiery, bags and readymade garments.’
- ‘Founded by Robert Pringle in 1815, the company originally sold lingerie and hosiery throughout Europe, the States, Canada and Japan.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.